Products and Services Award
This Award is for the placing on the market of a new product or service that makes an outstanding contribution to sustainable development.
The product or service:
- may be a new or modified design, or the innovative application of an existing one, in a way that promotes more sustainable patterns of production and consumption.
- must meet the needs of consumers and while making more efficient use of natural resources and minimising the use of hazardous substances, emissions of waste and pollutants over the product life-cycle (e.g. during material extraction, manufacture, distribution, use and disposal).
- must be economically viable and its production and consumption should contribute to equitable social progress.
Applications for this Award should represent the ‘cutting edge’ of sustainable product and service development, setting an example for others to follow.
Award criteria for judging
- Innovation: Substantial innovation in the product or service must bring improvements in environmental performance over comparable alternatives, whilst at least maintaining functional performance.
- Environmental benefit: Clear and quantified analysis must demonstrate increased resource efficiency and reduced environmental impact over the complete life-cycle of the product or service (e.g. through Life Cycle Analysis LCA or the European Ecolabel or a label of an equivalent nature).
- Social benefit: The product or service must meet the needs of consumers and bring wider social benefits (e.g. by providing decent working conditions, safeguarding consumer health, improving quality of life, etc.).
- Economic benefit: Proof must be given that the new product or service is economically viable (e.g. through sales performance data or credible sales projections).
- Commitment: Senior management must be clearly committed to the development and marketing of the product or service, and must show its importance with regard to the organisation’s overall strategy.
- Replication potential: There must be clear potential for wider adoption of the innovative aspects of the product or service, and a willingness to share this knowledge and expertise with other organisations.